[mythtv-users] new drive won't boot

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 08:04:18 UTC 2018

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 04:04, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Mythizens, I received my replacement drive from Amazon used
> "rsync" to copy the files from my revived (previously "about to fail")
> drive, swap the two drives and the box doesn't boot. Unswitch and it boots
> fine... unmount storage2, and switch drives and the FE finds storage2
> recordings (on the "rsync'd" drive) then a reboot fails. "fstab" is lookng
> to mount storage1,2&3, storage directories are back to original form, all
> default group, granted it doesn't take much, but I'm stumped! What do I
> need to do to make this drive acceptable to my box? the first of this type
> of drive worked fine, the odds of getting lemons back to back I woud
> imagine to be quite high...Please help, TIA Daryl
>

>From earier posts I believe that this is purely a data drive and not your
boot device.

This would appear to be a system-level issue and nothing to do with MythTV.

I would look closely at the entries in your /etc/fstab.
Are your fstab entries mounting by /dev reference (eg /dev/sdb1) or by UUID
(eg 39227a90-4e22-.....)?
Comment out all the fstab for starters and check that the box boots OK.
Then add the fstab entries back one at a time and check that each drive
mounts as expected.
Then have all your drives automount and again check that each mounts to the
correct mountpoint.

You should then hopefully find that MythTV is happy.