[mythtv-users] Ubunto 18.04 / 0.29 export to mkv

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 20:50:24 UTC 2018

On 12/16/18 3:38 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 at 20:25, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16/12/2018 19:26, Andy Smith wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to export some recordings to format other than DVD, I cant see
>>> any options in the GUI under Optical DIsks -> Create Archive ->
>>> Archive FIles.  I came from fedora where I would use nuvexport, but
>>> that has not been available in Ubuntu for a while, so what are my best
>>> options, assuming I havnt overlooked something obvious in the GUI?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> 'Exporting' might mean many different things.  Your subject line
>> specifies mkv, and I haven't seriously used that.  Something similar was
>> asked here recently and might help.   Perhaps ubuntu mythexport?
>>
>> To some extent it will depend on whether you want to save artwork and
>> similar metadata too.
>>
>>    http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2018-November/398327.html
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> John P
> Thanks for the response, it is for a standalone projector for use on a
> trip away from home, metadata is not important and the projector will
> accept (via USB) a selection of formats including MKV, AVI, MP4/H264,
> but wont play the raw .ts file, that was the 1st thing I offerred.
> Have gone via VLC and reformatted to .MKV, but it's kindof long winded
> and I just feel this could be done more elegantly.
I use HandBrakeCLI to convert recordings to h264 mkv. Actually I have a
set of scripts that takes everything in certain recording groups,
converts to h264 and saves them in a directory of transcoded files. It
runs every night and grabs any new recordings, You may not need to be
this sophisticated. FWIW it is here ->
https://github.com/bennettpeter/mythscripts

Peter