[mythtv-users] TBS2603 HDMI to Ethernet Questions (IPTV)

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Fri Dec 14 15:09:22 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-12 8:16 a.m., Gerald Brandt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a TBS2603, and it seems to be working fine, generating video
> with good quality.
>
> The mythtv IPTV encoder page has scripts for using the encoder with
> mythtv, but those scripts look fairly complex. They power up and down
> the cable box, etc. I have a (partially) working system by having only
> a start recording script that does nothing more than change the
> channel using 6200ch. Am I missing something? Should it be more
> complex than what I have in place?
>
> I did need a lock file in the start recording script, since mythtv 28
> seemed to call the script twice, which messed up with channel changing.
>
> The problem I am having is with LiveTV. I use Kodi for my frontends,
> and it gets a channel unavailable a lot with the TBS2603, but not with
> my HDPVR. Can anyone imagine a reason for this? I'll be testing the
> mythfrontend today.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gerald

I've been running a week now with flawless encoding, channel changing,
livetv, etc.

Just to summarize my TBS2603 install:

- MythTV 29 works WAY better than 28. If you use this device, I'd say
your minimum install 29

- the Wiki page is overly complicated because the scripts power up and
down the STB. If you don't do that, you only need a recording started
script.

- My recording started script is this:

#!/bin/bash -x

# Copyright (c) 2015 Richard Brandolino <rrbrandolino at gmail.com >

# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
a copy
# of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
to deal
# in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
rights
# to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
# copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
# furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT
SHALL THE
# AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
# LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
ARISING FROM,
# OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
# THE SOFTWARE.

# usage mythtv_recording_started.sh %CARDID% %CHANID% %STARTTIME%

# make sure the max wait time in MythTV for tuning this device is set
# no less that 40000 ms (40 sec), the encoder reboot is slow

logfile="/var/log/mythtv/MyScripts.log"  # point this to where you want
the log files

CardID="$1"
ChanID="$2"
StartTime="$3"

echo $StartTime "Initial Channel: " $ChanID >> "$logfile"

# my chanid values do not match my channels (original database from WAY
back (.16?), so query the database to get the channel number
Channel=`mysql -umythtv -pyourpassword -s -N -e "SELECT channum from
mythconverg.channel WHERE chanid='$ChanID';"`

echo $StartTime "1 - recording_started.sh: CardID" $CardID "Channel "
$Channel >> "$logfile"

case $CardID in

2)
     if [ ! -f /tmp/enc2-lock ]      # lockfile needed, since Myth
generates a start recording event twice in rapid succession
     then
         touch /tmp/enc2-lock

          # change the channel using 6200ch
           echo $StartTime "2 - Channel Change /usr/bin/6200ch.sh
$Channel" >> $logfile
           /usr/bin/6200ch.sh $Channel
           echo $StartTime "3 - recording_started.sh: Cardid $CardID
change channel ($Encoder_status)" >> $logfile

           rm /tmp/enc2-lock
      fi

      ;;

*)
      echo $StartTime "4 - recording_started.sh: Cardid" $CardID "NO
ACTION" >> "$logfile"

      ;;
esac
exit 0