[mythtv-users] 2 tuners, 2 antennas, 2 EPG

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:58:32 UTC 2018

On 12/13/18 8:45 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 12/13/18 7:44 AM, Al Esch wrote:
>> If the channel name and call sign is the same in the 2 sources, there
>> will only be one channel shown in the EPG
> I can confirm that this is correct.  You have a similar setup that I
> have, and the solution you've outlined is what I did.
>
> I have Verizon Fios for TV, and 2 tuner devices:  A HDHR and an HD-PVR.
>    I have it set up to prefer the HDHR (as as while it produces larger
> recordings, there are fewer moving parts and therefore is more reliable
> and quicker to tune).  However certain channels are copy-protected, and
> therefore aren't available for recording on the HDHR.   The solution was:
>
> - 2 EPGs in SD
> - 2 input connections in mythtv-setup, with each using the
> appropriate(ly-named) SD data source
> - Input priorities set to prefer the HDHR over the HD-PVR.
> - Tweak visible channels per source in /mythweb/settings/tv/channels if
> I had missed some detail about what channels are available to what in
> the SD world.
>
> There are no duplicate entries in the EPG, and other than sometimes
> picking the "wrong" input when flipping through live TV (which I
> personally rarely do), it seems to work fine this way.
>

> -WD

Y'all are correct of course. I just finished setting this up on a test
system. Using my normal XMLTV json sqlite setup I created 2 Video
Sources, SD and SD-11. I gave each separate database names
ScheduleDirect.DB and ScheduleDirect-11.DB. During the lineup
interactive setup I configured the channels identical except on SD-11 I
made 11_1, 11_2, and 11_3 "no". In Input Connections I set one HDHR box
to use "SD-11" and the other to use "SD".

In the Edit Channels setup I noticed the lineups, SD and SD-11, had the
right channels so it looks duplicated in the default display in Editor
because it has "All" selected in Video Sources. However, when you run
the mythfrontend that guide shows no duplicates as y'all  mentioned.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, mythfilldatabase does double the work, but that's only a few
minutes in the middle of the night.

Jim A