[mythtv-users] only on Sunday

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Dec 12 15:37:05 UTC 2018

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 12:05:23 +0000, you wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 11:27, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> All physical tests point to the drive, could I prevent it from beng
>> recorded to by resizing the partition to just bigger than the recordings on
>> it?
>>

>Rather than going down the risky route of resizing a partition on a faulty
>drive why not just "fill up" the drive by creating a dummy file or files?
>This is then easily undone just by deleting the file(s)
>
>Something like "dd if=/dev/zero of=filename count=???" should do the job?

If you reduce the free space on the partition to less than about 20
Gibytes, the expire routine will expire recordings on that partition
until it has about 20 Gibytes free again.  So you would lose
recordings by doing that.  Expiry happens even if there is no
recording scheduled to go to that drive.  So that is a really bad
idea.

In any case, it is much simpler just to run mythtv-setup and delete
the "Default" storage group entry pointing to that drive.  Use the D
key to delete.

If you then want to run test recordings on that drive, you can create
a new storage group with a different name, and add an entry in that
storage group that points to the bad drive.  Then in your test
recording rule, in Storage Options, change the third line down from
'Store in the "Default" storage group' to the option with the name of
your new storage group.  Adding a new storage group like that will
also make MythTV able to see the recordings still on the drive - they
will be able to be played back and deleted.  But unless you have
changed your recording rules to store to storage groups other than
"Default", no new recordings will go to the drive.