[mythtv-users] XMLTV json sqlite setup vs. what's needed for mythhdhrrecorder?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 15:10:30 UTC 2018

On 12/8/18 11:20 PM, William Jacoby wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On my production system I've been using XMLTV json sqlite for a
>     long time. I used the mythtv XMLTV wiki for that setup:
>
>     tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>     tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --days 0 --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>     tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>
>     During the 3rd step you go through each channel in the lineup for
>     my zipcode and delete the ones you don't get. That seems to make
>     mythfilldatabase work faster. It also makes my channel editing
>     faster because most of the channels are not in the list, just a
>     few stations that are on the fringe of my reception area. But most
>     of the channels I don't want are eliminated by the 3rd step.
>
>     When I went through Gary's PDF (Use of the HDHR Premium TV service
>     with MythTV.pdf)
>     https://drive.google.com/file/d/19wChqgPjPtt5tw7seUl-zySe-HrH6cJV/view?usp=sharing
>
>     I didn't see the opportunity to use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite to
>     eliminate unwanted channels from my SD lineup. As a result my
>     mythfilldatabase run was longer and I had a lot more channels to
>     edit out using mythtv-setup.
>
>     I'm sure there is a way, but I'm not smart enough to figure it
>     out. (the script isn't in Fortran and there's no IBM cards.  Yes
>     I'm that old :-)
>
>     Jim A
>
> You can install dbrowswer in order to edit/view the SQLite:
> sudo apt-get install sqlitebrowser
> Then change the value for the channel to either 0 or 1 depending on
> whether you want to disable it.

This browser certainly gives you a good view into what's happening.
Below are some assumptions I'd like confirmed from the experts.

1.  Using mythtv-setup > Channel Editor and marking a station/channel as
invisible has nothing to do with what XMLTV > mythfilldatabase pull data
for.

2. running tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltvinteractively lets you pick your channels and that
sets the 0 or 1  in the Select field of the channel table you can view
with sqlitebrowser on SchedulesDirect.DB

3. mythfilldatabase using xmltv grabber pulls data from SD for only the
channels that the Select field is 1? So NOT pruning the channel list to
a realistic list makes mythfilldatabase run longer and pull a lot more
data than you actual need?

Jim A