[mythtv-users] MythTV mysql database is MUCH slower after upgrading from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 02:20:32 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> While my MythTV system is running fine after upgrading to 16.04, I've
> noticed one thing that is performing significantly worse:   Searching
> for a TV show via MythWeb.
>
> Prior to upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 (and the mysql version that comes
> with it), searching for a show via the search box in mythweb is about an
> order of magnitude slower.   That is, it would take probably 10 seconds
> or fewer on 14.04, but the same search appears to take over a minute on
> 16.04.
>
> In the process of upgrading to 16.04, I had to comment out a few mysql
> optimizations (due to deprecated features), but I had no clue that any
> such optimization would have such a significant effect on performance.
>
> Is it really a mysql optimization that could cause such a drastic change
> in performance?   And if so, is there a way to tell what it might be?
> Or is there perhaps something else at play here?
>

> Thanks!
> -WD

I "updated" to 16.04 not long ago.  I just tried to search for a show in
listings on Mythweb, which is what I assume you are doing, and it takes
about 2 seconds.  I did a clean install of 16.04 and had to increase my
memory to 6GB on my old AMD 5400 processor.  The added memory really sped
things up for me.

Allen