[mythtv-users] Audio source not available to ExternalRecorder in LiveTV

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:55:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM Robert LeBlanc <robert at leblancnet.us> wrote:

> I've got just about everything set up to capture from my USB capture
> device. When my script is run from Mythbackend, the hw:1 device is not
> available to my recorder script when watching LiveTV (frontend on the same
> box). When I run the script stand alone with Mythbackend and Mythfrontend
> running but not watching LiveTV get both video and audio. I tried setting
> the Mythfrontend to use the null sound device and it still holds on to
> hw:1. I tried both hw:1 and hw:1,0 with the same results.
>
> The backend segfaults probably because of a corrupted stream from ffmpeg
> because of this. If I don't try to capture the audio, then I can see the
> LiveTV stream just fine of course there is no audio.
>
>  Any ideas how to get around this problem?
>
> Here is some logs from my ExternalRecorder script.
>
> 2018-12-06 10:25:20,226 DEBUG - mythuc.py:209 - start() Wating for ffmpeg
> to warm up.
> 2018-12-06 10:25:20,506 DEBUG - mythuc.py:278 - loggy() Ffmpeg: b'[alsa @
> 0x55838b4c2500] cannot open audio device hw:1,0 (Device or resource
> busy)\n'
> 2018-12-06 10:25:20,506 DEBUG - mythuc.py:278 - loggy() Ffmpeg: b'hw:1,0:
> Input/output error\n'
> 2018-12-06 10:25:20,728 INFO - mythuc.py:304 - adjust_chunksize() Stream
> read block size changed from 48692 to 52640
> 2018-12-06 10:25:20,929 INFO - mythuc.py:304 - adjust_chunksize() Stream
> read block size changed from 52640 to 57904
>
> Scheduling a recording and not running Mythfrontend also has the same
> error opening the audio device, so it must be something with the backend.
> There is only the one Capture device (ExternalRecorder) configured so I'm
> not sure why Mythbackend is even messing with that device. I'm running 29.1
> from deb-multimedia(mythbackend version:  [v29.1] www.mythtv.org)

Can you post the complete ffmpeg command with arguments that you are
using?   At least when I was playing around with mythexternrecorder
configurations (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ExternalRecorder and
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Example_Configuration_files) I found that using
cvlc was much more reliable than ffmpeg, so you may want to try that.

John