[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Dec 6 15:28:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:32:44 +1100, you wrote:

>> I suppose this raises two questions:
>> 1) If the guides are missing key bits, what's the best guidance for
>> making this change?
>>

>I found this guide very detailed and helpful -
>https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=104541
>
>2) Why would one switch from lirc to ir-keytable?  Especially if the
>> former appears to be working fine.
>>

>I, like many others, find LIRC complicated. It also seems to be prone to
>breaking after upgrades. But if it ain't broke, no need to fix it!

If you need to have an IR remote working with more than one program,
you have to either use lirc or all programs have to be fully
configurable to use the same keystrokes.  I use mythfrontend, mplayer
and irexec with my remote, so I need lirc.  Lirc also provides control
over autorepeating on a per key basis, which I find useful.  I have
autorepeat off on most keys to prevent keybounce problems, and on for
things like the arrow keys and page up/down.  I have quite a high
autorepeat rate on the up and down arrow keys, and normal autorepeat
on most others.