[mythtv-users] Upgrading from MythBuntu 14.04 to 16.04 - Potential issues?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:26:51 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:33 AM Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose this raises two questions:
>> 1) If the guides are missing key bits, what's the best guidance for
>> making this change?
>>

> I found this guide very detailed and helpful -
> https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=104541
>
> 2) Why would one switch from lirc to ir-keytable?  Especially if the
>> former appears to be working fine.
>>

> I, like many others, find LIRC complicated. It also seems to be prone to
> breaking after upgrades. But if it ain't broke, no need to fix it!

I did an "upgrade" from Mythbuntu 8 to Mythbuntu 16 and kept my LIRC code
mostly the same. The only issue I have is the same one I had before the
upgrade and that is that when I turn the TV on, it takes about 2 minutes
before the remote is responsive.  After that, it is fine.  I just cannot
understand even how Myth knows that the TV is off or just turned on and I
certainly don't understand why the remote would be so slow to become
responsive.  I often use a remote keyboard if I want to do something during
those initial minutes.  Does anyone know what could cause this behavior?
It almost makes me want to get a different remote or different control code
but I like my remote very much and don't need a new hobby :-)

Allen