[mythtv-users] Remote control problems completely solved

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:21:28 UTC 2018

I see a lot of issues on a lot of forums about remote control setup for
Mythtv and Kodi. I used to have them until I switch to the Harmony Smart
Control or Harmony Companion. The name has changed over the years, but
it's really the same product. I've been using mine for 5 years or so.
Here's a link to it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3RFC4G/?cstrackid=44e5e97f-dd70-410f-9217-5ed9021afe30

What makes this simple for Mythv is it's comes in as a bluetooth
interface. However it will work as a IR remote or WiFi remote.

Since my RP3, Intel NUC, and FireTV all have BT it makes setup a dream.
I can define the remote buttons independently for each device. I can
have the physical remote use the same buttons for the same functions for
Kodi and Mythtv on different devices yet they really send out completely
different "keyboard" codes.

The custom remote button setup is easy because you use your smartphone
app. It shows you a picture of the remote, you touch the button, then
select what device and what keyboard command to use.

So the remote can send volume commands to the AV receiver and Mythtv
"keyboard" commands to the computer for the "Mythtv" activity, but send
volume commands to the TV and Kodi "keyboard" commands to the computer
for the "Kodi" Activity.

Same setup for the remote works on FireTV and SmartTV setup. I paid $99
for mine but it $101 now.

And it works with Alexa!