[mythtv-users] Bind mount to keep mythtv files in one place?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 04:18:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:20 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 07:30:26 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 2:12 AM Stephen Worthington <
> >stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> >> Actually, there is no need to do anything so complicated.  All those
> >> directories can simply be changed in the MythTV settings.  And those
> >> settings are now out of date, as all of them can also be set up as
> >> storage groups now.  So you should probably just go into mythtv-setup
> >> groups are referenced from the backend - the data is sent to
> >> mythfrontend from mythbackend, and mythbackend accesses the
> >> directories.  The old settings are used by mythfrontend to directly
> >> access the directories, so if you are running separate frontends, you
> >> need to have network paths to access the data if it is actually stored
> >> on the backend box.
> >>

> >Well, my question is more about the file system hierarchy than mythtv
> >settings. I am using Storage Groups but I'd like to stay within the
> >defaults of the RPM Fusion package (which I help maintain) if possible.
> >
> >It could be that it's wildly out of date but it's also very difficult to
> >migrate major changes automagically for users so thing tend to stay the
> way
> >they're established.
> >
> >I may need to do a "fresh" install in a VM so I can see how things
> default.
> >My combined FE/BE installation is >10 years old at this point.
> >
> >The problem is there is not a single "root" folder for mythtv the way it's
> >currently packaged. It could have been:
> >
> >/var/lib/mythtv/{pictures,mythmusic,mythvideos,recordings}
> >
> >Which would have given me a single directory to tie things in but instead
> >it's:
> >
> >/var/lib/{pictures,mythmusic,mythvideos,recordings}
> >
> >Plus a bunch of other stuff in /var/lib...
> >
> >So it looks like the simplest solution if I don't want to move things
> >around is my original idea.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Richard

I use bind mounts as well.  I have several external arrays connected over
e-sata (I like the enclosures) and I use it for more than MythTV, but bind
mounts just make it easier to add a single mount that the entire system
just recognizes afterward.  I toyed with union mounts, but it decreased the
throughput speed by more than I was willing to accept.

-Greg