[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:50:01 UTC 2018

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 12:12:06 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:58 AM Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I executed my "plan"
>>>
>>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers
>>> sudo apt-get update
>>> sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
>>>
>>> And autoinstall picked the 304 driver but I still see
>>> sudo apt-get purge nvidia*configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
>>>
>>> Still no nevidia-settings that works so tonight I will go with part 2 of
>>> the plan and start over with 16.04
>>>
>>> Allen
>>>

>> If you do not successfully blacklist nouveau from the initramfs and
>> post-boot running kernel, then no matter what you do, nvidia.ko will never
>> work.  I am unsure of how to do that in a debian derivitive, but it must be
>> done.
>>
>> -Greg
>
> In Ubuntu, the blacklisting is done automatically when the Nvidia
> package is installed - the package installs a /etc/modprobe.d file.

Again, I'm not familiar with nvidia in ubuntu; but IIUC in RH/rpmfusion
boxes the nvidia-derived drivers may not be correctly installed unless
their installation happens *after* any nouveau activity.  Perhaps the
converse also applies.  After that, the nvidia module for the
appropriate kernel has to be built (usually automatically, but can take
minutes) before it can be used.  *buntu too?