[mythtv-users] Video quality on 0.28 worse than it was on 0.21

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:45:16 UTC 2018

On 08/23/2018 12:33 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> Using the same settings on the new 16.04 install I have bad tearing
> when the boards pan on Jeopardy where I did not on 8.04.  As far as I
> can tell, everything is the same. I still have the 8.04 HD, which has
> serious issues but will play so I am able to compare the silky smooth
> performance of 0.21 to the jerky performance of 0.28

With Nvidia it helps to turn off composite to prevent tearing.
sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite
or else add this to your xorg.conf.
Section "Extensions"
     Option             "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Note that turning off composite prevents Ubuntu unity desktop from
working. I use xubuntu to avoid that problem.

> Most things are the same as described below.  The differences are that
> I am aware of are that the new driver is 304 (which I confirmed is in
> use with additional-drivers) and the 8.04 system used 180.
>
> The other difference is that on the 16.04 system the nvidia-settings
> icon does not launch anything. It is just like clicking on air. I
> Googled this and found several people with the same problem and nobody
> with an answer.  Maybe the problems are related
>
> The hardware is a M3A with AMI 5400, Geforce 6200 LE video card.
>
> I put the same xorg.conf file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I created the same custom playback profile
> If rez > 0 0 -> ffmpeg & XVideo
> xv-blit softblend
> Bob(2x) Linear blend

For general picture quality you would do better to use VDPAU slim
playback profile if possible, or failing that, use OpenGL Slim.