[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Premium TV Service

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 01:22:15 UTC 2018

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 6:17 AM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious if anyone knows if mythtv can as well.

Looks possible in a couple of ways.  In a quick and dirty
test I managed to get it sort of working (at least for a
short recording, since the demos are limited to 2 minute).

I do not have a subscription to the service, and I don't plan
to pay for one, so I tested with the demo content, and while
it required even more gyrations than one might normally
expect for a new source to get it to sort of work (using
the contributed external recorder that supports the modern
HDHR HTTP virtual channel tuning and locking methods,
with a minor change to allow it to see the demo channels
(which would not be necessary with an actual subscription),
and creating a carefully crafted guide, and channel setup,
etc.).

As it was just a proof of concept, all the gyrations do not
really matter, as the point was to show it should be
possible to provide at least some integration should it
be desired.

As pointed out by David and Nick, there are clearly
some rough parts that really need to be addressed,
and would make installation closer to plug and play
(especially if the Gracenote updates get propogated
to Schedules Direct), but for someone motivated to
get it all to work, it seems like it will be possible, with
all the usual caveats.