[mythtv-users] can't set wakealarm

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sat Aug 11 19:21:46 UTC 2018

On 08/11/2018 08:37 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 08/11/2018 07:53 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018, 3:43 AM <mythtv-users at gorbag.com <mailto:mythtv-users at gorbag.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 19:56:39 -0700
>>     Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net <mailto:Douglas_Peale at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     > On 08/10/2018 06:59 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>     >
>>     > The problem is not systemd. MythTV was working fine with Mint 18
>>     > through 18.3, and those versions also had systemd.
>>     >
>>     > I have finally identified the problem. MythTV does not call
>>     > setwakeup.sh if it does not find anything to record.
>>     >
>>     > This is a problem because if nothing else wakes up the backend
>>     > system, mythfilldatabase will not be run, and the system will not
>>     > notice new items in the schedule because it has an out of date
>>     > schedule.
>>     >
>>     > MythTV should schedule a wakeup to run mythfilldatabase when it does
>>     > not find anything else in its schedule. It should schedule a wakeup
>>     > for mythfilldatabase anyway if the scheduled event would happen after
>>     > it runs out of schedule for any channel.
>>     >

>>     There is a program called mythwelcome that has a setting to allows two
>>     forced wakeup periods. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythwelcome.
>>     These settings are obeyed even when mythwelcome is not being used. So
>>     you only need to run mythwelcome to add a wakeup period, there is no
>>     need to use it in normal use. It would be nice if the forced wakeup
>>     period settings were added to mythfrontend's shutdown settings or
>>     perhaps to mythtv-setup.
>>
>>     Steve
>>     --
>>     ____________________________________________________________________
>>     Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:stevee at gorbag.com <mailto:stevee at gorbag.com>
>>     Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
>>     Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html
>>     ____________________________________________________________________
>>
>>     4.9.95-gentoo Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz GNU/Linux
>>
>>      08:15:25 up 5 days, 23:34,  7 users,  load average: 1.09, 0.85, 0.67
>>
>>     Peter Griffin:  NOOOOOO. Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids. Damn
>>     longears, trying to take Easter away from Jesus. Anyway, what was that
>>     you were saying?
>>

>> Or, just schedule a news type recording once a week.
>>

> I suggest you set something up that runs at startup to schedule a wakeup for 3 am next day. This would be overridden if there
> was a recording scheduled that subsequently called the wakeup script. However that does not really solve the problem of a
> recording scheduled for a week away, which would then shut you down for the whole week. So you need a customized wakeup script
> [...]

I already have a modification to my setwakeup.sh command to wake my computer at 3:00 AM. This is so a cron job can run at 3:00
AM. The problem is that setwakup.sh does not get run if mythtv does not find anything to record in the schedule.

MythTV already schedules the next run of mythfilldatabase as you can see from the backend status page of mythweb:

Last mythfilldatabase run started on Fri Aug 10, 6:39 PM and ended on Fri Aug 10, 6:39 PM. Successful.
Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: Sat Aug 11, 1:49 PM.
There's guide data until 2018-08-24 05:00:00 (13 days).
DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on Fri Mar 8 (2019) 7:52 AM

but for some reason it does not treat this as a scheduled event when it sets the wakeup time.

I would consider this a bug to be fixed. At the very least, it should be set up as an option to wake for mythfilldatabase.