[mythtv-users] can't set wakealarm

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 04:34:46 UTC 2018

On 08/09/2018 09:09 PM, David Hampton wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-08-10 at 03:46 +0000, Mark Perkins wrote:
>> On 10 August 2018 12:09:46 pm Douglas Peale <
>> Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I am attempting to follow these instructions here:
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup
>>>
>>> when I test setting the wake alarm I get the following:
>>>
>>> $ echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
>>> bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
>>>

>>> Even sudo does not help here:
>>>
>>> $ sudo echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
>>> bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
>>>

>>> This was working before I upgraded to Mint 19. but the last time I
>>> messed
>>> with this stuff was 8 years ago, so I have forgotten
>>> what I knew then.
>>>

>>> What am I missing?

>> The sudo only applies to the echo or something like that. Check out
>> couple of examples here or try "sudo bash"  for elevated shell or
>> some
>> equivalent.
> Right.  The sudo only applies to the echo command.  The redirection is
> still being done as your user which doesn't have permissions.  Try
> this:
>
>     sudo bash -c "echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm"
>
> The quotes will make the redirection happen as the root user.
>
> David

Thank you.

I was going to update the wiki with that change, but I found someone beat me too it.

This explains why my attempt to test the wakeup function did not work, but does not explain why my system is not waking up for
recordings.

I need to do some more looking.

log showing the test now works:

$ echo $SECS
1533929400
$  sudo bash -c "echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm"
$ sudo bash -c "echo $SECS >/sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm"
$ cat /proc/driver/rtc
rtc_time    : 04:28:56
rtc_date    : 2018-08-10
alrm_time    : 19:30:00