[mythtv-users] db restore

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:32:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> >  - checking: /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
> >  - checking: /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> >  - checking: /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> >  - checking: /home/daryl/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> >  - checking: mysql.txt
> >  - checking: /home/daryl/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> >  - checking: /home/daryl/.mythtv/backuprc
> >
> >Applying command-line arguments.
> >
> >Checking configuration.
> >
> >WARNING: DBName not specified. Using mythconverg
> >
> >WARNING: DBHostName not specified.
> >         Assuming it is specified in the MySQL options file.
> >
> >WARNING: DBUserName not specified.
> >         Assuming it is specified in the MySQL options file.
> >
> >WARNING: DBPassword not specified.
> >         Assuming it is specified in the MySQL options file.
> >
> >Database Information:
> >         DBHostName:
> >             DBPort: -1
> >         DBUserName:
> >         DBPassword:
> >             DBName: mythconverg
> >        DBSchemaVer:
> >  DBBackupDirectory: /home/daryl
> >   DBBackupFilename: mythconverg-1344-20180804112717.sql.gz
> >      drop_database: no
> >    create_database: yes
> >
> >Executables:
> >       mysql_client: mysql
> >         uncompress: gzip -d
> >
> >Miscellaneous:
> >    partial_restore: no
> >   restore_xmltvids: no
> >    change_hostname: no
> >
> >Checking database.
> >DBI connect('host=:database=mythconverg','',...) failed: Access denied
> for
> >user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) at ./mythconverg_restore.pl
> >line 933.
> >
> >Preparing initial database.
> >DBI connect('host=','',...) failed: Access denied for user 'root'@
> 'localhost'
> >(using password: NO) at ./mythconverg_restore.pl line 933.
> >
> >Unable to connect to database.
> >           database: mythconverg
> >               host:
> >           username:
> >           password:
> >
> >Please check your configuration files to verify the database connection
> >information is correct.  The files that are used to retrieve connection
> >information are prefixed with "parsing" in the "Parsing configuration
> files"
> >section of the --verbose output.
> >
> >Also note that any [client] or [mysql] password specified in the MySQL
> >options
> >file (/etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf) will take precedence
> >over
> >the password specified in the MythTV configuration files.
> >
> >ERROR: Unable to connect to database.
>
> From that, it appears that mythconverg_restore.pl is not finding a
> config.xml or mysql.txt file to use for the user/password to access
> the database.  First, check if you have a /etc/mythtv directory.  If
> it is there and contains a config.xml file, then you should link to it
> from the other places a config.xml file is needed, see below.

I re-did the new install (OS $ Myth), and yes there is a config.xml filoe
in /etc/mythtv

> If there is not a /etc/mythtv directory or it does not contain a
> config.xml file, then you need to create and populate it.  I suspect
> that running mythtv-setup will do that, so I would try that first,
> from user "daryl".  Do not bother to actually set up anything inside
> mythtv-setup, as anything you do will be overwritten by the database
> restore.  Mythtv-setup may object to that and not want to exit, but
> just answer the "do you really want to exit" type questions with "yes
> I do" and exit it.  Then check the following locations for config.xml
> files:
>
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
> /home/daryl/.mythtv/config.xml
>
> You need a config.xml file in each of those places.  I have found that
> in most circumstances, it is best to have just one config.xml file in
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml and link to it from all other locations.  So if
> you now have a /etc/mythtv/config.xml file, then do this:
>
> sudo rm /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

done

> sudo rm /home/daryl/.mythtv/config.xml

done

> sudo mkdir /home/mythtv/.mythtv

done

> sudo chown mythtv:mythtv /home/mythtv/.mythtv

done

> sudo mkdir /home/mythtv/.mythtv (assumed /home/daryl/.mythtv)

done

> sudo chown daryl:daryl /home/mythtv/.mythtv  (assumed /home/daryl/.mythtv)

done

> sudo ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

done

> sudo ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/daryl/.mythtv/config.xml

done

> Do not worry if there are any error messages on any of those commands
> except the "sudo ln" ones.
>
> Then check the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file and see if it has a
> password you are happy with.

it is other than the one I posted earlier, so I'm OK with it

> If not, then create a new password
> (using apg?) and edit it into the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file.  To
> edit /etc/mythtv/config.xml, this should work:
>
> sudo nano /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>
> If nano is not installed, install it and try again:
>
> sudo apt install nano
>
> Then you can try restoring the database again.

Thanks Stephen, so now am I ready to try to restore the database?  I have
not launched myth FE or BE, so do I need "--drop_database
--create_database" arguments?