[mythtv-users] Problems with backend setup

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sat Aug 4 21:11:29 UTC 2018

On 08/04/2018 01:46 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:
> I just did a clean install of Linux Mint 19.
>
> I am trying to migrate my mythtv setup to this version and am running into problems.
>
> I figured out how to change the mythtv password in mysql, and restored my database.
>
> I ran mythbackendsetup, verified the settings, then hit "esc" to exit.
>
> Up pops an error message "Unable to create file "/var/lib/mythtv/recordings//.test" - directory is not writable?
>
> I find that the owner of some of these directories is "root:root"
>
> I migrated my old recording drive to the new setup, and have it linked as a soft link as /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
>
> I now have that directory, and all files under it as owned by mythtv:mythtv. Apparantly the old drive had a different ID for the
> mythtv group and it was reporting "mythtv:133", but this is fixed now.
>
> Still get the same error.
>
> I go poking around and find under the "Storage Directories" link the storage directory is listed as
> "/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/" I tried to delete the '/' at the end thinking that is the cause of the '//' in the error message.
>
> Instead, the software creates a second storage directory. In attempting to delete this second storage directory, a third storage
> directory got created. I can not find a way to delete the unwanted storage directories.
>
> Worse, each one of the new storage directories ends in '/', so now I get three error messages about not being able to create the
> file.
>
> I think I will need to manually edit the configuration.
>

> So, which file is the storage directory stored in?
>
> Thanks.

I figured out how to delete the extra entries. The 'D' key, not the "delete" key, that would be too obvious.

I also removed the "/" from the end of the entry, but I still get the error message:"Unable to create file
"/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/.test" - directory is not writable?

I made the directory writable by everyone, and that finally worked.