[mythtv-users] hangups/slowdowns after upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04/mythtv 29

Nicolas Krzywinski myth2 at site7even.de
Thu Aug 2 20:08:04 UTC 2018

Am 01.08.2018 um 20:43 schrieb Paul Archer:
> I'm on gig ethernet. But before the upgrade the wait time was
> typically 2 seconds, and now it's 8, so the problem doesn't lie (just)
> in the network.
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:37 PM, George Poulson
> <george.poulson at gmail.com <mailto:george.poulson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     What speed is the network between your front and backend?
>     I recently changed from remote frontend (on 100mb/s ethernet) to
>     local and the original 1 or 2 second 'Please Wait' is now barely
>     perceptible.
>
>     On Wed, 1 Aug 2018, 17:20 Paul Archer, <paul at paularcher.org
>     <mailto:paul at paularcher.org>> wrote:
>
>         That made some difference, although not a huge amount.
>         I'm seeing variations from one frontend to another, so I'm
>         suspecting it is on the frontend side rather than the backend.
>
>         On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Jay Foster
>         <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com <mailto:jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             On 8/1/2018 5:20 AM, Paul Archer wrote:
>>             No, my drives are active. I get the 8 seconds even after
>>             starting a recording, immediately backing out, and
>>             starting it again.
>>
>>             On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 8:57 PM, Stephen Worthington
>>             <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
>>             <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>>
>>                 On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:41:15 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>                 >My backend system recently died, and as part of the
>>                 replacement, I decided
>>                 >to upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 and mythtv 0.28 to
>>                 Ubuntu 18.04 and mythtv 29.
>>                 >Since then I've had several issues. I ironed most of
>>                 them out, but two
>>                 >linger:
>>                 >1) The time between starting playback of a recording
>>                 and that recording
>>                 >actually playing (when it says "Please Wait") is
>>                 about 8 seconds. It used
>>                 >to be about 2 or so.
>>                 >2) When exiting the "Watch Recordings" screen, the
>>                 frontend will hang for
>>                 >about two minutes or so, sometimes longer (it has
>>                 taken over 5 minutes, at
>>                 >which time the WAF got so low I had to restart the
>>                 frontend rather than
>>                 >wait it out).
>>                 >
>>                 >I've enabled debug-level logging on the front end,
>>                 but I get literally
>>                 >nothing while it waits. I've checked the backend
>>                 logs as well, but I've
>>                 >seen nothing useful there. I've done some searches
>>                 in the mailing list
>>                 >archive, but haven't come up with anything there either.
>>                 >
>>                 >Any ideas? Logs to look at, settings to check?
>>                 >
>>                 >Thanks,
>>                 >
>>                 >Paul
>>
>>                 The start playing time could be a hard drive that has
>>                 to spin up.  You
>>                 can use hdparm to see the state of a drive:
>>
>>                 root at mypvr:~# hdparm -C /dev/disk/by-label/rec1

> [...]
I encountered a real long delay as well, when starting playback of
recordings on my brand new installation. The frontend even crashed once.
But I skipped investigating on this issue at that time, because there
were other things to set up.
Later on, this delay was gone and it never came back .... well, there
were a few exceptions where it hung again and crashed afterwards (or was
killed by me, because I didn't wanted to wait). But this occurred rarely
only.

So definitely a bit of an increased weakness, compared to the old
system, but definitely not a problem as you encounter.

An additional laggy behaviour of the frontend occurred to me, when the
metadata were fetched in background for all the contents of the video
section. This was kind of confusing, as the corresponding logfile
entries were written after a delay only.
I am not sure about this, but maybe background activity like this caused
my delays at the beginning.

Are there any background activities of your frontend? Maybe something
fails and is repeated again and again?
I know you told of no log entries _at the time of your delays_, but
maybe there are delayed entries for you as well, that may correspond to
background activities that were running for a while?

--
Nicolas

MythTV Version : v29.1-22-g675676b
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (4.15.0-23-generic)
Digital Devices GmbH Octopus DVB Adapter via ddbridge kernel module
15c2:0036 SoundGraph Inc. LC16M VFD Display/IR Receiver (imon) via ir-keytable
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 3e91 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100T)