[mythtv-users] successful upgrades to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 1 17:01:28 UTC 2018

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 11:31:59 -0500, you wrote:

>I had issues with the actual upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 on every machine
>I've done (including two desktops). I didn't have any issues with mysql,
>but I did have problems with LIRC on the frontends, and ended up dropping
>it.
>I've also had some odd delays when starting playback and when exiting the
>"watch recordings" menu. No one else seems to be having these particular
>issues, though--or at least no one has said so.
>I don't remember the order I worked with the PPAs, except I rebuilt my
>backend from scratch since I had a hardware issue that prompted the upgrade
>in the first place.

The upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 had only been available for a few days
now (since 18.04.1 was released on 26-Jul-2018).  If you forced the
upgrade before then, there are likely to have been problems.  The
18.04.1 version is supposed to contain the fixes to make the LTS
upgrade process work properly.

I am not surprised that there might be LIRC upgrade problems, as LIRC
has been updated to a much later version between 16.04 and 18.04 and
now has a completely different config setup (using a Python config
program).  That is one thing I am intending to seriously test when I
upgrade my alternate boot partition to 18.04.1 soon.  Only when I have
the alternate system working properly will I try upgrading my
production boot partition.