[mythtv-users] successful upgrades to ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04?

Jason Zarin jason at zarin.org
Wed Aug 1 16:25:35 UTC 2018

Anyone make the leap yet?

So last time I went through this process (14.04 --> 16.04) it was a total
unmitigated disaster as nothing worked afterwards. Apparently the
combination of switching to systemd and a major upgrade to a new version of
mysql just broke everything. I restored from backup and stayed on 14 for a
while longer. waited until a slow weekend to do a complete 16.04 install
from scratch and restored all the recordings and mythtv database and
everything has been smooth sailing ever since.

Hopefully with fewer drastic changes under the hood, in-place upgrading to
18.04.1 will be less dramatic....

But what would be the best way to go about it given that the mythtv PPA is
not part of the ubuntu distribution?

1. do an in-place do-release-upgrade, re-add the mythbuntu PPA afterwards
and hope for the best?

2. remove the mythbuntu PPA before doing the upgrade, do-release-upgrade,
and re-add the ppa?

3. apt remove (or purge?) mythtv* and other myth-related packages before
doing the upgrade, do-release-upgrade, add the PPA and reinstall all the
packages?

or 4. LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE and stay on 16.04 until 2021.

Thanks