[mythtv-users] hangups/slowdowns after upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04/mythtv 29

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Aug 1 15:30:58 UTC 2018

On 8/1/2018 5:20 AM, Paul Archer wrote:
> No, my drives are active. I get the 8 seconds even after starting a
> recording, immediately backing out, and starting it again.
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 8:57 PM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:41:15 -0500, you wrote:
>
>     >My backend system recently died, and as part of the replacement,
>     I decided
>     >to upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 and mythtv 0.28 to Ubuntu 18.04 and
>     mythtv 29.
>     >Since then I've had several issues. I ironed most of them out,
>     but two
>     >linger:
>     >1) The time between starting playback of a recording and that
>     recording
>     >actually playing (when it says "Please Wait") is about 8 seconds.
>     It used
>     >to be about 2 or so.
>     >2) When exiting the "Watch Recordings" screen, the frontend will
>     hang for
>     >about two minutes or so, sometimes longer (it has taken over 5
>     minutes, at
>     >which time the WAF got so low I had to restart the frontend
>     rather than
>     >wait it out).
>     >
>     >I've enabled debug-level logging on the front end, but I get
>     literally
>     >nothing while it waits. I've checked the backend logs as well,
>     but I've
>     >seen nothing useful there. I've done some searches in the mailing
>     list
>     >archive, but haven't come up with anything there either.
>     >
>     >Any ideas? Logs to look at, settings to check?
>     >
>     >Thanks,
>     >
>     >Paul
>
>     The start playing time could be a hard drive that has to spin up.  You
>     can use hdparm to see the state of a drive:
>
>     root at mypvr:~# hdparm -C /dev/disk/by-label/rec1
>
>     /dev/disk/by-label/rec1:
>      drive state is:  active/idle
>     root at mypvr:~# hdparm -C /dev/disk/by-label/vid3
>
>     /dev/disk/by-label/vid3:
>      drive state is:  standby
>
>     I have never met your long timeout to exit "Watch Recordings", but I
>     am still using 16.04 with v29.

I don't know about the long delay when exiting Watch Recordings, but I
have experienced long delays in starting a recording playback. Over
time, this delay would get longer and longer.  What I found that seems
to help is the optimize_mythdb.pl script
(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimize_mythdb.pl).
Jay