[mythtv-users] Gallery not working

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 08:49:35 UTC 2018

On 28/04/18 20:00, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 6:18 AM, Roger Siddons
> <dizygotheca at ntlworld.com <mailto:dizygotheca at ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 17:54:53 -0700
>     Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com
>     <mailto:marco.nelissen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Is there some kind of trick to getting Gallery/Images to work?
>     > https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gallery
>     <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gallery> seems to indicate that all I
>     need
>     > to do is set the "Photographs" storage group to the directory where
>     > my pictures are stored, however when I then go to "Images" and scan
>     > the storage group like it says, nothing happens.
>     > All I see is this in the mythback.log:
>     >
>     > Apr 27 17:34:44 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1846]: I
>     ImageScanner
>     > imagescanner.cpp:166 (run) Starting scan
>     >
>     > Apr 27 17:34:44 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1846]: I
>     ImageScanner
>     > imagescanner.cpp:218 (run) Finished scan
>     > but there is no further activity after this, and it never shows any
>     > pictures.
>     > This is on mythtv 0.28
>
>     Does backend user have read permission for the photos ?
>     And execute permission on the directories ?
>
>     Are you sure the backend has actually been re-started after
>     setting the
>     storage group ? If you've recently upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 the
>     mythtv-setup dialog could be lying.
>

> And indeed it apparently was lying, since even though mythtv-setup
> told me it was stopping and starting the backend, the running
> mythbackend was still the same instance that had been running since I
> rebooted last week.
> Restarting the backend for real fixed the issue. Thanks!
> So is this an issue with mythtv-setup, mythbackend, or Ubuntu itself?

The mythtv-setup issue of not stopping mythtv-backend has been reported
see  trac ticket https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13160 (has patch)

Temporary work around is to use in a termina for operating systems using
systemd (Ubuntu, Debian Stretch)l:

#to stop mythtv-backend before using mythtv-setup

sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend.service

#to start mythtv-backend after using mythtv-setup

sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend.service

There is a further problem on Ubuntu 18.04 and others in that gksu has
been removed see trac ticket https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13256

Mike