[mythtv-users] Lose TV tuners after PC reboot

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:43:13 UTC 2018

On 24/04/18 16:52, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> I believe that Stephen's suggestion is correct.  That is that the MythTV
> backend is starting up before either the TCP/IP network or the network
> tuner (HDHomeRun) is up and running.
>
> I encountered this issue on a PVR I build for a family member.  While I
> was unable to get a 100% reliable solution I did find that delaying the
> startup of the MythTV backend improved the situation immensely.
>
> If you are curious about the things I tried, I wrote an article on it.
> Please note that the article was on Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.27, so
> the exact steps would not apply for your Mythbuntu 16.04 installation.
>
> How to Fix HDHomeRun Connect Not Starting MythTV Recordings or Live TV
> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-hdhomerun-not-recording
>
> Regards,
> Curtis

This is what I use on systems using systemd (*ubuntu 16.04, 18.04,
Debian Stretch)

# setup mythtv-backend.service startup delay
In a terminal on the machine running mythtv backend:

sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service # and add the following three
lines

# Delay mythbackend startup to allow network and tuners to fully stabilise
[Service]
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 20

Then exit from the edit screen (it uses nano by default, so Ctrl+x, then
y, then Return key) then  reboot the machine

Mike