[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Apr 20 01:35:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 16:27:44 +0000, you wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 9:13 AM Stephen Worthington <
>stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 13:22:41 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>> >Now the next problem - the frontend runs extremely choppy. Never had this
>> >issue on the 0.27/fixes one. Same movies come as if watching via RDP!
>> >
>> >I can post the required logs - i know there was a way I read earlier to
>> get
>> >logs - enter something along with "mythfrontend -v" command..
>> >
>> >(I hope this isn't a hardware issue - not sure if 0.29 takes more compute
>> >than the 0.27)
>>
>> I can tell you that 0.29 runs just as well as 0.27 on the same
>> hardware.  I think your problem will just be that you do not have the
>> right playback setup yet.
>>

>I am using the same hardware that my 0.27 was running without any problem.
>

>> Did you copy across your old database and upgrade it?
>

>No - i just made a brand new install on a seperate SSD drive for my
>frontend. Being that it's a frontend - not sure if it had any DB on it -
>maybe I am wrong.
>

>> Is your
>> frontend using the same hostname as your old frontend?  The frontend
>> database settings are all per hostname, so if you are using a new
>> frontend hostname, or a completely new database, then you will have
>> only the default settings for playback.  Which probably means no use
>> of accelerated GPU processing.  So you will need to set it all up
>> again.
>

>Hostname is different. I checked my playback setting. Here's what I
>noticed. First - i did the "high definiton" test from the sample video that
>is included - and it plays choppy.
>I set the playback same as I had on my 0.27 - VDPAU slim. However, no luck.
>I changed it to Auto - and still no luck.
>
>Another issue (non-issue at this stage - will bring it up as i progress
>here) is the audio. When I do test - the center channel plays on my
>surround rear speaker. But I digress. The choppy video is what makes this a
>show stopper here for now.

You may need to set up a control file for ALSA (/etc/asound.conf) to
tell it which speaker is which.  ALSA configuration is a pain, but
this problem has come up a number of times on this mailing list, so if
you can find one of those posts it should tell you how.  But first I
would just look at the /etc/asound.conf on your 0.27 disk and see if
you can just copy that.

>> If it is an older CPU, then it will not be able to cope with
>> playing modern video without the acceleration.  What sort of video
>> card is it?  What sort of CPU?
>>

>Atom ION zotac. However, like i said, I have 0.27 on another drive and it
>works perfectly.  RAM - 4 Gb

An Ion CPU is unable to do modern video without using the GPU
acceleration.  So you do need the Nvidia drivers installed and VDPAU
set up to use them.