[mythtv-users] Indoor HD antenna question

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 18:10:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018, 3:41 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 09:01:11 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >On 14/04/18 05:23, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> >> On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 20:32:52 +0000, you wrote:
> >>

> >> The "demux0  dvr0  frontend0  net0" devices are all correct for a
> >> normal DVB or ATSC tuner.  What we are not sure of now is if they all
> >> work correctly.  Trying the "scan" command should tell us whether the
> >> tuner works at a basic level, and then if that works, once scan has
> >> created a channels.conf file, that can be used with an "azap -r
> >> <channel name>" command to tune the tuner to one channel and make that
> >> play on the /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 device.  You leave azap running and
> >> in another command prompt run a command line player program like
> >> mplayer to play from the dvr0 device:
> >>
> >> mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
> >>
> >> Mplayer should pop up a window and play the channel.  It will also log
> >> to the console to show what is happening, and tell us what went wrong
> >> if it can not play the channel.
> >
> >The centosplus kernel is, IIRC, an el6 kernel with extra drivers for
> >non-el-type stuff like multimedia.  The current kernel is
> >

> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/centosplus/x86_64/Packages/kernel-2.6.32-696.23.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64.rpm
> >
> >with a build date of 2018-03-14, probably for the spectre security fix.
> >
> >Your dmesg shows
> >
> >Linux version 2.6.32-220.17.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64
> >(mockbuild at c6b5.bsys.dev.centos.org) (gcc version 4.4.6 20110731 (Red
> >Hat 4.4.6-3) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed May 16 05:20:13 BST 2012
> >
> >I doubt that saa7134 stuff has been updated much since then, but
> >you probably ought to think about doing some updating, anyway :-)
>
> 2.6!!!! Is that really the kernel version?  That is ancient!  There
> has been a lot of development of V4L since then, so I hope it has
> updates for that.  My Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS is running
> 4.4.0-119-generic, and that is quite old - the new 18.04 LTS build is
> due out in a few days and will be running 4.15.

Yes.  it is old. I am afraid of breaking my "working" backend if I try to
upgrade so I am shying away from an upgrade. I have been using this only
for movies (videos), music and pictures (nothing a plex server won't do -
but I love my association with myth and the community and it gives me a
chance to learn new stuff and expand my limited Linux knowledge)

> Not to mention that a kernel that old will not run SSDs properly (no
> TRIM), and will not run NVMe SSDs at all.  And will likely not work
> with shingled drives like my 8 TByte Seagates.  And will not work
> properly with new CPUs like Ryzens.

I have it working with my 8Tb drive and raided 8Tb mount. but I should
upgrade, just scared...