[mythtv-users] Mythtv, Plex, and watched status

Matt Goebel matt at goebelnet.com
Sat Apr 7 18:28:00 UTC 2018

Plexkodiconnect (PKC) can't be used with MySQL sync but that's not an issue because you no longer need it at all. Using MySQL and Samba/NFS to keep a bunch Kodi frontends in sync is a complete hack that doesn't work remotely anyways. With Plex, which gets that right, you don't have to do any of that, it does direct connect if it can over a local network and transcoding if it can't (remote access only really) so it works in a similar way to storage groups in mythfrontend but with the ability to access it remotely as well. When something gets dropped into a directory Plex monitors it picks it up immediately, grabs the meta data and adds it to the correct library. My Kodi frontends all pick that up nearly instantly as well, and all the meta data (art etc) comes from Plex as does the watched status. If I watch something in kodi I can pick up where I left off on another Kodi frontend/Plex apps, or a browser from anywhere. You can sync your music and photos with Plex and PKC too, I don't do that because I'm not using it for those functions.

Kodi makes for a better frontend than Plex directly (although you can can use both if you want) because it can also connect to Mythbackend for livetv/recordings. Plex can record from an HDhomerun prime (only) if you buy premium where MythTV can record basically anything. Kodi can WAY more options when it comes to customizations... it's not even close, and a ton more addons/functionality. You can also use Kodi with PKC on an Android device which avoids having to pay for the Andoid Plex app which isn't free. Keeping my Kodi frontend addons/configuration in sync (PKC hands all the content in Plex but not that) I've achieved by simply setting up one frontend the way I wanted, when backing it up using the backup addon and restoring it on new frontends. I haven't had to make any changes since getting to where I wanted it.

Mythlink is a terrible outdated mess. It just creates a link with whatever meta data MythTV has and that's it. Myth2kodi is light years better. When MythTV doesn't have proper media data about season/episode etc, which is quite often, it uses the description/recording time and channel etc to look it up online to figure that out. It also gives you a lot more options on how to move/link/name recordings. I have recording groups setup in MythTV so certain shows ( and movies) can automatically get added to different libraries in Plex (Kids TV shows vs Adult etc). It's not perfect but it works pretty well. Sometimes I have to fire up a Mythfrontend to alter meta data slightly for a recording and re-run the myth2kodi job, but that's rare.