[mythtv-users] How to choose between 2 backends ?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:18:24 UTC 2018

On 04/06/2018 12:52 PM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> I frequently run MythFrontend on my laptop, and need a way to switch between using it with my home server and a local backend and DB, on the
> laptop. I currently end up having to manually edit the config.xml file each time I want to do this. One of these days I'll write that slick
> GUI-based backend picker I've been meaning to write :-).
>
> It would definitely help if there was an argument to mythfrontend that could override the IP address setting in config.xml, though.

Not a GUI, but:

At least in Ubuntu 17.10, this adds a desktop icon and just clicking on it
selects my production backend. Right clicking allows selection of
two other backends. The scripts (Exec= lines) simply set MYTHCONFDIR to unique
directories that have the proper config.xml settings.

$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/mythfrontend.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;
Version=1.0
Name=MythTV Frontend
GenericName=Personal Video Recorder
Comment=MythTV Frontend Starters
Icon=/usr/share/app-install/icons/mythtv.png
TryExec=start_frontend_using_production_backend
Exec=start_frontend_using_production_backend
Terminal=false
Encoding=UTF-8
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=mythtv-frontend
Actions=Test;Office

[Desktop Action Test]
Name=Test Frontend
Exec=start_frontend_using_test_backend

[Desktop Action Office]
Name=Office Frontend
Exec=start_frontend_using_office_backend

--
Bill