[mythtv-users] How to choose between 2 backends ?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 22:28:07 UTC 2018

Hoi Klaus,

> Hi,

> I have frontend and backend on a desktop pc.

> But I would also like to record tv on a laptop. This laptop has no screen and
> the graphic card is probably to small to watch tv. I installed frontend on it
> to test it, but now I want to use only the frontend on the desktop pc.

> So sometimes, I want to record tv on the laptop, but watch recorded episodes
> on the desktop machine. Copy or move the recordings to the desktop pc should
> be easy by ftp or an external usb hard disk.

> How to organize that ? How to tell frontend on the desktop pc which backend I
> want to use ?

> In the setup, I saw the option "This server is the Master backend" I can
> untick.

> Of course I can change IP address in mythtv-setup, but there is certainly a
> more elegant solution. Is it possible to create profiles for this purpose ?

> Bye

> Klaus

Why do you want to record on that laptop and first of all does it have
a tuner? If not you cannot!

You can have one or more slave backends next to the master. They will
share the same database, which normally, but not necessarily, will be
located on the master. Any backend MUST have at least one tuner
configured or it might start reacting weirdly. You can not pre select
which backend is used for a recording other then by hard selecting a
tuner in the recording rule.
To record on the slave, the database must be running and I think so
does the master.
You must set your database to be accessible over the network, the same
as when you want to run multiple frontends. How to do that you can
find in the wiki.

It is also possible to have to separate mythnetworks, for instance to
test a newer version, however that will need a lot of fiddling or you
must run them on a different IP subnet.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven