[mythtv-users] channels.conf

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Apr 1 17:52:38 UTC 2018

I use my own version of the script at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script which is based on what I originally wrote <some time ago>. It takes some time to set up, and is a little more opaque now I'm using Schedules Direct in the UK which has numeric xmltv IDs - so I now have :
>   update channel set visible=1,channum=1  ,xmltvid="24325" where callsign="BBC ONE N West" ;
>   update channel set visible=1,channum=2  ,xmltvid="17154" where callsign="BBC TWO" ;

Also, during periods of overlap when they are shuffling things around, lines like this may be useful :
>   delete from channel where channum=120 and callsign="CBBC" ;

You have to put a fair bit of effort into setting this up in the first place, but once it's done, it takes very little maintenance. But once you have it setup, you can just "delete all channels, scan for channels, run script to set them up as you like".
One of the things that really <insert expression of intense annoyance> about Freeview is the way they keep making changes which means doing a rescan on all the TVs and making it pointless going through the very time consuming process of managing the channel list on each TV every few months. So on the TVs we have all the channels in the original illogical order and numbering - grrr