[mythtv-users] Proper way/user to run mythconverg_restore.pl when restoring old database on clean install

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 19:32:37 UTC 2017

Doing the clean install method after upgrading my system to 16.04.

I ran the following command line to install the old database:

sudo -u mythtv /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --verbose
--drop_database --create_database  --directory /home/mythtv --filename
mythconverg-1317-20170928112702.sql.gz

It fails with an unable to connect to database and this environment:

Configuring environment:
  -    username: mythtv
  -        HOME: /home/ian
  - MYTHCONFDIR: /home/ian/.mythtv

Parsing configuration files:
  - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/config.xml
  - checking: /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
  - checking: /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
  - checking: /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
  - checking: /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
  - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/mysql.txt
  - checking: mysql.txt
  - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/mysql.txt
  - checking: /home/ian/.mythtv/backuprc

Doing a 'locate config.xml' it's only at these locations:

/etc/mythtv/config.xml
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/config_files/config.xml
/usr/share/mythtv/config.xml

How do I get the command line to ignore /home/ian and /home/ian/.mythtv?

Thanks!