[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not getting updated lineup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 22 11:55:01 UTC 2017

On 09/22/2017 12:52 AM, James Orr wrote:
> I tried truncating my channel table and re-running mythfilldatabase,
> still the channels I enabled on schedules direct are not showing up.
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM, James Orr  wrote:
>
>     I enabled some channels in schedules direct that I previously had
>     disabled, but when I run mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates, it
>     is not adding those channels in.
>
>     Should I maybe wipe all the current listings so it can start
>     fresh?  Any other options I could try?

mythfilldatabase fills the database with channel listings, not with
channels (despite what most MythTV users seem to think).  For certain
types of channels it is possible for mythfilldatabase to add a channel
to the database with only the information contained in the listings
data, but this is not its intended purpose.  If you are using any kind
of "internal" tuner and are not using analog TV (NTSC/PAL/SECAM), you
cannot add channels to MythTV using mythfilldatabase.  Generally, now
that analog TV is mostly gone, you can only expect mythfilldatabase to
be able to add a channel if you use an external tuner (like
CableCARD/OCUR/Firewire/...) and do not need any kind of tuning
information--but instead use a tuning identifier ("channel
number"/frequency ID)--to tell the external tuner to tune the channel
you want using its own internal (non-MythTV) database of channel tuning
information.

If, however, you're using an internal tuner that tunes a digital
channel, you will need to do a rescan to pick up the new channels--and,
specifically, the information about how to tune the new channels.  Then
you will have to set the XMLTV IDs for the channels, then
mythfilldatabase will do its job--of populating listings for the
channels already in your database.

Note, too, that truncating the channels table left a whole bunch of
connected information in your database.  Deleting channels (or video
sources) through mythtv-setup properly deletes all the information
associated with the channels, across all the linked tables.  I highly
recommend you wipe your channel information and start that portion from
scratch, otherwise, you're likely to encounter issues (in
days/weeks/months) due to the leftover information in the DB that
shouldn't be there.  This is important whether you are using an internal
or external tuner--whether you should have done a scan or not--because
truncating the channels table broke your database data.  To wipe that
information, go into mythtv-setup, select Video Sources, then "Delete
all Video Sources".  Then, create your new video source(s), scan for
channels, set XMLTV IDs, and connect inputs.  See, also,
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/264034#264034 .  Alternatively, you
can restore a backup of your database from before you messed with the
channels table.

Mike