[mythtv-users] my bad

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Wed Sep 20 00:32:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Trying to get the android frontend to connect to the database I did this:
>
> mysql -u root -p mysql
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'passwd';
> mysql> flush privileges;
> mysql> exit;
>
> and now I can't connect to the BE on the combined box (16.04/0.28) and trying to restore a database results in this:
>
> trieli at mythtv:~$ mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --filename mythconverg-1344-20170919104850.sql.gz --verbose
>
> Configuring environment:
>   -    username: trieli
>   -        HOME: /home/trieli
>   - MYTHCONFDIR: /home/trieli/.mythtv
>
> Parsing configuration files:
>   - checking: /home/trieli/.mythtv/config.xml
>      parsing: /home/trieli/.mythtv/config.xml
>   - checking: /home/trieli/.mythtv/backuprc
>      parsing: /home/trieli/.mythtv/backuprc
>
> Applying command-line arguments.
>
> Checking configuration.
>
> Database Information:
>          DBHostName: localhost
>              DBPort: 3306
>          DBUserName: mythtv
>          DBPassword: XXX
>              DBName: mythconverg
>         DBSchemaVer:
>   DBBackupDirectory: /media/storage/mythtv/db_backups
>    DBBackupFilename: mythconverg-1344-20170919104850.sql.gz
>       drop_database: yes
>     create_database: yes
>
> Executables:
>        mysql_client: mysql
>          uncompress: gzip -d
>
> Miscellaneous:
>     partial_restore: no
>    restore_xmltvids: no
>     change_hostname: no
>
> Checking database.
>
> Preparing initial database.
>
> Unable to connect to database.
>            database: mythconverg
>                host: localhost
>            username: mythtv
>            password: 7HVMRTtn
>
> Please check your configuration files to verify the database connection
> information is correct.  The files that are used to retrieve connection
> information are prefixed with "parsing" in the "Parsing configuration files"
> section of the --verbose output.
>
> Also note that any [client] or [mysql] password specified in the MySQL options
> file (/etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf) will take precedence over
> the password specified in the MythTV configuration files.
>
> ERROR: Unable to connect to database.
> trieli at mythtv:~$
>
> Please help! thanks in advance Daryl

I'm not sure, but I think you set your mysql mythconverg password to
'passwd'.  You could change this in your /home/trieli/.mythtv/config.xml
file (put 'passwd' instead of '7HVMRTtn').

There is definitely a way to set the password to your other password
(7HVMRTtn) but I don't know specifics on that.  I usually roll with just
mythtv as my password.

Having 'passwd' as your password would probably be fine, but if that
bothers you, someone will probably pipe in with the mysql command to change
it.  You can probably look that up yourself.

Jerry