[mythtv-users] Brainstorming clip extraction

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 22:25:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:53 AM, E James <e_james at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> On 19/09/17 14:22, Josh Rosenberg wrote:
> > Hi, MythTV users. Hopefully you can help me with something that might be
> a little out-of-the-box (unless this exact feature exists and I just don't
> know it!).
> >
> > Sometimes I'm watching a recording and I want to extract a clip, either
> into a video file or (more commonly) a GIF. I know how I'd do this with
> ffmpeg, but it's a pain to pull out a laptop, pull up a command like,
> figure out the exact time indices I want, and so on. It would be awesome if
> there is (or if I could create) an interface through the frontend to do
> this. Maybe I'd pause at a start time, pull up a menu, and pick "convert to
> clip from this point". Maybe I'd enter a clip length or maybe it would just
> default to a particular length. Of course I'm not wedded to that technique;
> any solution that would work through MythTV would be fun.
> >
> > Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any ideas for how I can do
> what I want?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Josh

 Mythfrontend has a recording editor built in (actually it is probably
better called a cutlist editor).  I used to use it to edit out commercials
in some shows I was saving to DVD.  Here is the information about how to
use it: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings

Normally I would run a lossless transcode job after creating the cutlist to
remove the commercials.  You probably don't want to do that, but you could
probably use the --out-file option on mythtranscode to save what you want
to a file.

Bill