[mythtv-users] DVB-S2 tuner cards for the UK

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 16:30:50 UTC 2017

On 18/09/17 16:51, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm planning to upgrade my Mythtv backend to have four DVB-S2 tuners.
>
> The TBS6904 DVB-S2 Quad Tuner comes in at about £230, whereas two
> TBS6902 DVB-S2 Dual Tuners are £90 each, which would work out cheaper.
>
> Which is likely to be the better buy?  The cards will go into a
> bog-standard PC running Linux.
>
> Or is there a better approach?
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

I don't have either of those cards, but I do have two of the older TBS
6981 (dual DVB-S/S2) cards.
These cards have been working since March 2011 and June 2012.

Personally, I would go for the dual cards,  if one breaks for any reason
you will still have recording capability,

The other consideration is how many PCIe slots are available on your
motherboard, and how many you might need in the future, particularly  if
you have or will have  a PCIe graphics card (some of these obscure
adjacent  PCIe slot).

Mike