[mythtv-users] 0.28: upcoming recordings management oddities

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 18 14:41:24 UTC 2017

On 09/14/2017 10:04 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/13/2017 07:22 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> "I've noticed numerous times where Myth will record something that I'd
>> flagged as "Never Record" and they had fallen off the Upcoming
>> Recordings list when I did that.  Some Upcoming Recordings (mainly on
>> the Fox Sports Channels) I cannot remove; no matter how many times I
>> click "Never Record" they don't drop off the Upcoming Recordings list.
>> If I click "Don't Record" they'll fall off the list but sometimes (not
>> always) they'll record anyway!?"
> Maybe the confusion is because "Never Record" just cancels recording
> of one episode. The next episode will still record. Perhaps what he
> really wants is to delete the recording rule, or change it so it only
> records what he really wants.

Furthermore, because "Never Record" only simulates recording of a
specific episode, it will only prevent recording if duplicate matching
is enabled on the recording rule.  And because it relies on duplicate
matching, it has the same requirements/limitations as all duplicate
matching....  If there's a program ID, it (that existed at the time the
"Never Record" was submitted) will be used to determine whether a
showing is the one to "Never Record".  If the program ID is a generic
episode ID, the "Never Record" will do absolutely nothing (instead
requiring a filter on the recording rule to exclude/ignore generic
episodes).  If the showing that is marked to "Never Record" has no
program ID, the specified duplicate matching algorithm for the recording
rule for the show will be used (i.e. subtitle and description), and if
any of that information changes, due to program listings updates (i.e.
determination of which teams are playing or whatever), the episode will
no longer be considered a duplicate.

As for the "Don't Record", that creates a specific one-time override
rule.  And, again, it can be "fooled"/broken by listings changes (even
if it's only the start and/or end time that's changing).

Mike