[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Sep 18 09:40:43 UTC 2017

On Sep 15, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com<mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hoi Phill,

Friday, September 15, 2017, 4:43:57 AM, you wrote:

On 15 Sep. 2017 12:21 am, "Jim Abernathy" <jfabernathy at outlook.com<mailto:jfabernathy at outlook.com>> wrote:

I notice that the header on the wiki about Securing Mythweb is tagged as outdated.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Securing_MythWeb

Are there some easy instructions for putting a strong password on
my mythtv system so I can setup programs to record while away from home?

Why not just put username and password auth in via .htaccess? Sure
there's no SSL but we're only talking TV recordings here.

You're not talking just tv-recordings. Unless you place the server
outside your network inside a DMZ, you are opening a door to your
network that is relatively easy opened further.

Tot mails,
 Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

When I’m away, the port forwarding is turned on for the Mythtv backend and all other computer on the network are powered down.

Jim A