[mythtv-users] nVidia frontend

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 22:38:59 UTC 2017

I needed a new mythfrontend machine for my exercise room.  I wanted small
and cheap, but I also wanted performance -- I want good deinterlacing,
scaling and timestretch.  It turns out, that is is very hard to get that
level performance and stay cheap.

I looked at the Raspberry Pi, but it just could not handle the timestretch.

I borrowed an i3 NUC, but it's deinterlacing was not great, and even worse,
I was not able to git rid of the tearing.

I finally remembered that I had an old Intel Core2 Duo ITX board sitting on
the shelf.  I ended up buying a Silverstone ml08 case and a MSI GT 1030
AERO ITX 2G OC Graphic Card to go with it.

The main consternation I had, was that I didn't think the Noctua nh-l9x65
CPU heatsink on that motherboard, would fit in that Silverstone case, but
it does!  The specifications for the case say the CPU heatsink can be a
maximum of 58mm tall.  The Noctua nh-l9x65 says that is is 65mm tall.  Yes,
the fan ends up pressed up against the case grill, but it does fit!

Then end result, is that I have just as good performance and quality with
this system, as I do with the one in the living room.  The Silverstone ml08
case is much bigger than a NUC or Pi, but it is still small enough to be
out of the way.  Not bad for ~$150.

John