[mythtv-users] Logging doesn't work

Enno Middelberg enno.middelberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 07:10:42 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'm using MythTV 0.29 as it ships with Debian Testing. It used to run
fine for a long time, but stopped working after a recent upgrade. I'm
trying to debug it, but can't get logging to work.

There simply are no logs anywhere. Appending "--syslog" to the service
(in /etc/init.d/ythtv-backend) doesn't make logs appear in syslog, and
providing --logpath also doesn't change things.

When I start mythbackend in the terminal I get logging information, so
it seems to work in principle. /var/log/mythtv exists and is writeable
for user mythtv, which owns the backend process.

Where do I need to look to get this to work?

Many thanks,

Enno