[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 15 16:40:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:42:46 +0000, you wrote:

>I got remote VNC to work.  x11vnc server is installed in mythbuntu if you enable that service in mythtv control center. I just give it a strong password at startup.  I just have to figure out how to have x11vncserver run at boot time automatically. I now can run mythweb or mythfrontend remotely.

The VNC protocol is really insecure - as best I can remember, it sends
passwords in clear text.  It should only be used when connecting via
an encrypted connection.

Basically, there are no shortcuts to getting remote access to MythTV -
if you want proper security, you have to use either a VPN or an
encrypted tunnel.  Nothing else is good enough to ensure safety.  I
use OpenVPN and then VNC inside that.  OpenVPN is a pain to set up,
but gives about the best security available when used with the correct
options.