[mythtv-users] Alternative to zbox for a frontend

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 13 15:16:18 UTC 2017

On 09/13/2017 10:21 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Turns out I was misinterpreting what I was seeing. tvservice seems to
> be showing that the pi is picking up the 50Hz prefered mode of my tv.
> The problem is performance. SD runs perfectly, but with 1080i25
> content frames are dropped - I'd guess about 1 in 4 or 5 because the
> result is so much like running at the wrong frame rate. Strangely some
> 720p24 isn't quite perfect either although in that case it depends on
> the scene and some parts are perfectly smooth (that's with the screen
> mode changed to 24Hz).
>
> I'm pretty sure I've applied every optimisation you list, besides
> trying greater than 256MB gpu mem. Perhaps I need to get a Pi 3.
You never said what version of MythTV you are using - the 0.27 version
for Raspberry Pi was an unofficial release and is missing many
optimizations, so hopefully you are on 0.28 or 29.

Verify the mpeg2 license (vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG2).
You could try running with -v playback to see if it is dropping frames
or there is some other problem.

Completely smooth video may not be achievable at this time. See ticket
at https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12907

I use it for 1080i and 1080p at 30 fps on a pi2. If it is not 100%
smooth all the time it does not worry me or my wife.

If you have done all of the performance steps I recommended, I don't
think that a Pi 3 will make that much of an improvement. Perhaps you
notice these things more than I do.

Peter