[mythtv-users] Alternative to zbox for a frontend

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 18:58:26 UTC 2017

On 12/09/17 19:31, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 09/12/2017 11:51 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Yeah, it's not so important in the US: if you drive your TV at 60fps
>> then 30p content will be perfect and 24p will be not quite right but
>> perfectly acceptible. But 25p content will show a sort of hardness
>> to the motion (difficult to describe but very noticable), particularly
>> when there's a long slow pan of the camera. And if you have loads
>> of 25p content and you drive the tv at 50p then 24p content will show
>> a slight tick once per second.
>>
>> 24p content running with a 60p refresh rate is so close to right that
>> I think you'd struggle to see any problem. I'd recommend you don't
>> look for it, because once you see it you can never unsee it. :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Paul.
>
> I checked my big TV and it is running at 60, so maybe, as you say, it
> is not important in my case. Also the fps seems to switch between 30
> and 24 during a recording, so it may actually be better if the TV
> stays at 60 rather than switching to 30 and then encountering parts of
> the show that are at 24.
>
> Since the Raspberry Pi was developed in the UK, you would think it
> would be suited to the UK mode of TV and movies.
>
> I have not looked into it but I think that changing the video mode may
> require changing the config.txt and rebooting. If you figure out
> something that can be built into MythTV let me know.
>
> Peter

I am in the UK

Frame rate switching can be done on the pi without a reboot, I don't
know the technical details.

Kodi can and does do this ( by default it is off but can be enabled to
run at stop/start). I have just tried this with my Samsung TV and it
auto switched from 50Hz to 24Hz, when I played 24p video content and
back to 50Hz

Note Kodi 17.4 Git:20170822-d640e9a747-di is now in Raspbian repo for
Debian Stretch, as is the kodi- pvr.mythtv plugin (which works with my
mythtv 30-pre backend).
For Live TV change Tuning timeout (pvr.mythtv Advanced tab) from 5
seconds to 10 seconds when using DVB-T/T2 tuners in mythbackend,
otherwise you might get Channel Unavailable message.

Mike