[mythtv-users] Alternative to zbox for a frontend

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 14:59:57 UTC 2017

On 09/12/2017 06:10 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I'm amazed how well this works - tiny little, silent, cool running
> device giving really high quality results! :-)
>
> There is potentially a showstopper for me. As I feared there looks to
> be no way to swap screen mode to match the video fps, or at least
> nothing that works via mythfrontend's usual mechanism. I'm in the UK
> so most of my content is 1080i25, but I also have recordings in 24p. I
> imagine I could fiddle with the X config and get it to drive my TV at
> 1080p50, but then the 24p stuff will be glitchy. Is there a workaround
> - like adding some extra menu options to mythfrontend and wire them
> through to some way of changing screen mode?
I don't think that will be possible with the Raspberry Pi. I believe the
support for xrandr is minimal.

I have never used separate modes for videos on any frontend, even with
full size frontend machines. It just runs at whatever mode is being
supported and everything looks fine to me. Perhaps you can explain why
mode switching is important. What does that do for the picture? What
sort of "glitchy" do you experience?

My content is sometimes at 24 fps and sometimes at 30 fps and I think
the TV runs at 30 or 60, but I have not checked.

Peter