[mythtv-users] Best tuner for Myth/ATSC? WinTV-dualHD TV Tuner not found.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Tue Sep 5 03:22:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 09:23:24PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 20:50 -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 02, 2017 at 10:52:37PM -0400, blisbell . wrote:
> > >    It is not good practice to mix ubuntu ppas with debian an vice-
> > > versa but
> >
> > I agree.  I'd rather not do that if the debian kernel (4.9 in stretch)
> > has the proper support.  Does it?  If not, is there a driver for the
> > Hauppauge tuners that could be added to the debian kernel?
>
> I'm not sure about 4.9, but if you need something newer then I would
> recommend trying the kernel from stretch-backports, my own myth system

Per the linuxtv.org page you refer to, it looks like I need 4.11,
so I added stretch-backports and I'm DLing it as I type.

> tracks buster (current testing, so the ~same kernels as are in stretch-
> backports with some small lag) and has a WinTV-dualHD ("Model 01590
> (USB device ID 2040:0265)" from [1]). The first tuner works ok -- AIUI

Mine says: ID 2040:026d.  Lsusb -v doesn't return a Model, the closest
thing is "iProduct 1", but in /var/log/messages this shows up:

kernel: [435914.846896] usb 1-6: Product: 955D
kernel: [435914.846900] usb 1-6: Manufacturer: HCW
kernel: [435914.846903] usb 1-6: SerialNumber: 0013946375

So it looks like I have a model 1595, per the linuxtv.org page
referenced below.

> the second isn't yet supported even by bleeding edge kernels although
> I'm only on 4.11 so far

That's disappointing.  I wonder if that's the case for all multiple-tuner
Hauppauge products.  Elsewhere someone said that the quadHD is the best
tuner by a long shot.  After reading carefully the linuxtv.org page,
there appear to be kernel patches to use both tuners.  Not sure I'll go
that route or wait for those patches to propagate into stretch-backports.

> Running things from Debian's own backports should be far preferable to
> running things from other distros entirely (even ones as closely
> related as Ubuntu) and cause much fewer problems. In particular for

I agree.

> kernels which have relatively modest requirements from the rest of the
> systems taking kernels from backports is generally fine, you won't end
> up pulling in huge swathes of packages.
>
> I note that [1] says one variant works from 4.7 and the other from
> 4.11, so that seems like a good base irrespecive of which you have.

Strange.  The lsusb -v output for the 026d device there says it's a 955D
in the iProduct field, mine only says "1", but the kernel message says
it's a 955D.  Still, the usb ID points to needing kernel 4.11.

> There is also links to firmware on that page.

The firmware is for the 2040:0265, so no wonder it didn't do anything.
(/lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw).  I had installed it from the
ubuntu ppa.

> Ian

Thank you very much!  At least now there's light at the end of the
tunnel.  First, I'll see if the tuner is visible to kernel 4.11,
then I'll decide if I want to go the patch route or wait for the
2-tuner modifications to propagate to stretch-backports.

After that, I'll have to upgrade the myth machine (liva X) that is still
running jessie.  I'm doing all this in a test machine for now.

> [0] https://backports.debian.org/
> [1] https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD

Augustine