[mythtv-users] "Nice" recommendations

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Oct 31 13:35:12 UTC 2017

On 31/10/17 11:27, Mark Perkins wrote:
> On 31 October 2017 8:53:39 pm Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
>> On 31/10/17 06:15, Ian Evans wrote:
>>> I notice that when I run a mythvidexport.py user job moving a recording
>>> to the video section, the responsiveness of the interface grinds to a
>>> halt and the load goes north of 5.
>>>
>>> Haven't really used nice much. Any recommendations what nice level I
>>> should run it at?
>>>

>> nice -19
>>
>> which is basically background task, and everything else takes priority.
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>
>   I am kind of working from memory here but maybe add an ionice -c3 as well?

Yes, I use that too.  Many media-type jobs do not-much number crunching
but a lot of data shifting.  ionice -c3 sets I/O priority to 'idle' and
'man ionice' says "The impact of an idle I/O process on normal system
activity should be zero"  That's not what I see, but I think it helps.

MythArchive is supposed to be able to use psutil to do this, but the
last time I tried that it hung; calling ionice -c3 mythburn.py still
works for me.

John P