[mythtv-users] rPi3 3.5mm audio out - HDMI

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:43:17 UTC 2017

Hi Peter!

>> Found the utility; didn't see anything to configure audio.  In
>> Preferences there is an Audio Device Settings option (a few above the
>> Raspberry Pi Configuration option) and it has a Sound Card selection,
>> of which the only option is "bcm2835 ALSA (Alsa mixer) (Default)"  All
>> options turned on and set to 100%.
> sudo raspi-config
> <snip>
> 7 Advanced Options     Configure advanced settings
> <snip>
> A4 Audio
>    Choose the audio output
>     0 Auto
>     1 Force 3.5mm ('headphone') jack
>     2 Force HDMI

Oh.  <feeling a little bit stupid but learned something>

Selected '2 Force HDMI'; on exit this was displayed:

     pi at raspberrypi:~ $ sudo raspi-config
     numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Route'
        ; type=INTEGER,access=rw------,values=1,min=0,max=2,step=0
        : values=2

No idea if anything potentially significant.

Did check the audio level -- same as before (sort of figured would be).

Experimentation:

Monitor has an audio in; plug that into the RPi.  Leave RPi configured
for HDMI.   ==>  No change (audio level same and variable).

Try force audio to 3.5mm output.  No audio with HDMI selected (at
monitor) but weak audio with VGA selected (at monitor).   Not surprised
at needing to select VGA In on monitor but a little surprised at the
weak audio.  Starting  to think the volume issue is more with the
monitor than the RPi.

And going back to check the output after changing raspi-config:
      When changed to use 3.5mm: values=1

     Just now reset to use both (auto):  values=0
Now getting audio via HDMI but not the 3.5mm; not really a concern for me.

So I'm thinking the low volume issue is more with the monitor than the
RPi/MythTV.   ...Specs on the monitor's speakers: 1W / ch. Almost
betting that's the issue!

Thanks for pointing me to the right place in raspi-config!

Barry