[mythtv-users] Playback starts one minute in

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Oct 21 07:30:40 UTC 2017

On 21/10/17 17:19, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 2:06 AM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com <mailto:perkins1724 at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 21 October 2017 4:23:33 pm Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com <mailto:dheianevans at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > Just something I've noticed in 29.
>      >
>      > Since MythTV .27 my default template starts recording 1 minute early and
>      > ends 1 minute late so as to avoid any issues with a station's timing being
>      > off.
>      >
>      > In the last week or so (moved to 29 a few weeks ago) I've noticed that the
>      > show starts playing one minute in. As in hit pause right at the start of
>      > playback and the position is 1:00. If I hit rewind, I can see the previous
>      > minute that's been recorded.
>      >
>      > The recording DOES NOT have a cutlist.
>      >
>      > The frontend IS NOT set to auto-skip commercials.
>      >
>      > A week or two ago, I'd see the last minute of the previous program, but
>      > that's changed. Any idea why this would be happening?
>      >
>      >
>      >

>     This is a feature that was added a little while ago. I don't recall if it has a toggle / checkbox somewhere to enable / disable. I think it was added in 0.28?
>

> In an initial skim of the changelogs, I couldn't see anything. Any idea what the justification was? If a person records early because some stations start a few seconds (or worse) early, why would they want to start one minute in?

The assumption is that the program does start on time so playback starts there,
but you have your 1 early minute if the program did start early.

I find it a good idea as most programs do start on time here, and I use the
early start / late end for the rare cases that this is not the case.

YMMV, and making it optional (if it is not already) will probably suit others.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)