[mythtv-users] Livetv stutter

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 11:24:22 UTC 2017

On 19 October 2017 at 03:21, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/18/2017 09:22 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> i) PAL 576i video output terminating in RGB SCART (not composite, not
>> YPbPr)
>
> I had to look up SCART. An obsolete French standard. I think it never
> existed in the USA.

SCART didn't breach the US market, but was the standard way of
connecting analog equipment (VCR/DVD/cable/satellite) to your CRT TV
this side of the Atlantic, especially here in the UK. I seem to recall
that component YPbPr video, rather than RGB, was the common input to
provide better than composite/S-Video inputs in the US.

> Forget Raspberry Pi for that. Raspberry Pi does work well with HDMI or
> composite cables, and supports surround sound via HDMI.

>From a technical standpoint, a regular VGA output with appropriate
modeline provides the RGBHV signals to permit connection to an RGB
SCART input. Some video hardware (such as old ATI) will generate a
composite sync signal itself, others need a simple circuit to combine
the H+W sync. Either way, video quality is significantly better than
using composite/S-Video when the display supports it.

Cheers,
Nick