[mythtv-users] Themes - come out wherever you are

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 17:08:16 UTC 2017

On 15/10/17 16:51, Barry Martin wrote:

> Hi Paul!
>
>> What version of MythTV are you using? I seem to remember some problems
>> were fixed in this area recently but you will have to update to a fairly
>> recent version to get them.
>
> Hopefully giving your the correct information.  On the current Frontend I'm working on up here in the Computer Room the command "mythfrontend --version" gives the following:
>
> 	MythTV Version : v0.28-2-g15cf421
> 	MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
> 	Network Protocol : 88
> 	Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
> 	QT Version : 5.5.1
>
> Should be fairly up-to-date as installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 and MythTV on this computer just a few days ago.
>

>> There are two sets of themes the default ones MythCenter,
>> MythCenter-wide and Tera which should be in /usr/share/mythtv/themes
>> typically.
>>
>> And then there are the user installed ones which will be placed in the
>> theme directory in MythTV's config directory which is normally
>> $HOME/.mythtv. You can see exactly what it is in the frontend log you
>> will see a line that starts with "Using configuration directory ="
>> followed by the directory it's using.
>
> Currently /usr/share/mythtv/themes contains (via 'ls' command):
>
> classic, default, defaultmenu, default-wide, DVR, mediacentermenu, MythCenter, MythCenter-wide, mythuitheme.dtd (must be a file), slave, Terra.
>

> ls $HOME/.mythtv displays:
> 3rdParty, cache, channels, confix.xml, MythBrowser, themes, tmp.
>
> The themes directory contains:
> Arclight-master, Steppes, and Willi
>

> As for the log, looking at "/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log".  Found a line "Using configuration directory = /home/barry/.mythtv" with "N thread_unknown mythdirs.cpp:194 (InitializeMythDirs)" preceding.  (Probably unimportant -- I have no idea.)
>

> Thanks!!

Your  version of mythtv is from April 2016 and is very old , Ubuntu
repositories do not get updated very often, mythtv has a ppa for getting
the most up to date versions see:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

In your case run the following in a terminal session:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

I suggest you reboot after this, may not be strictly necessary, but I do
just to give a clean starting point.

Mike